How a small business lender successfully migrated from a dated CRM to Salesforce
Sales Cloud, Service Cloud
After years of using the same dated customer relationship management (CRM) software, Ascend was ready to make a change. Yet a wholesale migration to Salesforce presented a significant challenge. At the time, all internal sales efforts were being managed in the previous CRM. This included lead scoring and assignment to the sales team, as well as deals submitted by the company’s valued partners. It would be a hands-on project requiring an attentive and highly skilled team.
About Ascend: Ascend is a private broker providing commercial financing for small businesses across the United States. Their team has the funding expertise to help businesses grow into the next phase.
A wholesale migration to Salesforce presented a significant challenge. All internal sales efforts were being managed in the previous CRM, including lead scoring and assignment to the sales team, as well as deals submitted by partners.
Duplicate Records, Messy Data Make For Complicated Migration
With information being submitted from multiple sources (traditional lead generation efforts, partner relationships, etc.), Ascend was having difficulty attributing sales to their true lead source. Eventually, they tracked the cause of the problem to many duplicate records. The volume of duplicate records and the general state of the data made hindered the ability of agents to move through the sales cycle efficiently.
Ascend achieved a 76% increase in deals closed/won in the month following the migration.
Addressing the Need to Consolidate Customer Records and Migrate Data
Working closely with the Cloud Square implementation team, Ascend was able to meticulously address three crucial aspects of the migration:
- Migrate duplicate recordsThe team developed a complex algorithm capable of automatically identifying duplicate records based on status, status changes, and record type. This algorithm would automatically group related duplicates and eliminate superfluous records.
- Migrate nearly five years of dataAfter successfully migrating its New York office, the Ascend team then completed the same process for its Las Vegas location months later. The team achieved 100% user adoption following the migration to Salesforce.
- Fix the attribution problemNow that deals are assigned the correct status automatically, Ascend can better score leads with high potential versus those that should be eliminated. For those deals that do move to closed/won, Ascend can accurately assign credit to the lead source.
As the result of this migration, Ascend saw noticeable results in a number of key areas:
- 2 offices, 32 sales reps moved to new system
- 100% user adoption following the migration
- 21% decrease in average processing time (down to 4.8 days)
- 26 more records in pipeline for each agent’s (on average)
- 76% increase in deals closed/won in the month following the migration
At a Glance
Avg. Decrease Processing Time
Increase in Closed Won
More Productive Sales Team, Improved Partner Relations
Giving credit where credit is due goes a long way in the world of business. After moving on from a dated CRM to Salesforce, Ascend was finally able to overcome problems rooted in duplicate records and messy data. Not only did this lead to immediate and measurable productivity gains for sales agents, but consistent and accurate lead attribution strengthened the relationship between Ascend and its partners.